April is among us, it's time to get our next project started for the Style Stitches Monthly Bag Challenge 2011!
We will be making the BEAUTIFUL BALANCE CHECKBOOK COVER from Chapter 4.
Fabrics for BEAUTIFUL BALANCE CHECKBOOK COVER—
Yardage requirements– Mid-weight 54" wide Home Dec fabrics are recommended, I am sure lighter fabrics will be fine
1/4 yd of one print for exterior
1/4 yd of a coordinating solid/print for the flap
1/4 yd of a second print for lining
Here are my fabrics:
We will need 5/8 yards of 20" wide FUSIBLE woven interfacing. The testers in the book used Shape Flex by Pellon SF-101, just make sure that it is fusible and intended for light to mid-weight fabrics. I am so in love with SF 101, that stuff is an interfacer's dream!
1/4 yd of 44" wide fusible fleece
1/8 yd of 20" wide Peltex #70 by Pellon or a similar extra-heavy stabilizer
One 3/4" magnetic snap
You can purchase the magnetic snap, interfacing, Peltex and fusible fleece at your local shop that sells fabric. I recommend buying the interfacing at a shop that has a coupon, as we need many yards. Joann, Hobby Lobby, etc.
Are you new to using interfacing? Kathy Mack at Pink Chalk has a helpful guide to fusible interfacing that you may enjoy.
There is one pattern piece in the book for this project, and the for rest, you must make your own templates. I used cardstock and wrote on my paper the information.
Style Stitchers, this is what we need to do for April:
- Select/order fabric and notions
- Show us the fabric that you are using on the Flickr group page, if you desire
- Cut out pattern pieces for BEAUTIFUL BALANCE CHECKBOOK COVER
- Make bag following instructions from book
- Ask questions if you have any (you may use the discussion board on our Flickr group)
- Look for a sew-a-long??
- Take pictures of your BEAUTIFUL BALANCE CHECKBOOK COVER and upload them to the FLICKR GROUP. Alternatively, you may e-mail them to me and I will upload them to Flickr.
- Meet back here on 1 MAY 2011 for details for the next bag and to see a few of the photo-submitted bags and find out who won gift certificates to this month's sponsors:
- Above All Fabric ($25),
- Fat Quarter Shop ($50),
IF YOU WANT A CHANCE TO WIN A GIFT CERTIFICATE FROM OUR SPONSORS, PLEASE READ!
–BEAUTIFUL BALANCE CHECKBOOK COVER pictures must be submitted by 30 APRIL 2011 to be eligible for the gift certificate drawings. The winners will be randomly selected.
–Once the winners are announced, the first person to respond gets to select the gift certificate that they want. I will give further instructions on the 1 MAY 2011 post.
Questions? Comments? Did I forget to mention anything?
**New to the challenge? You can read all of the details on this post & then get sewing!**
Here's a button with the code below: