Well, today is March, it's time to get our next project started for the Style Stitches Monthly Bag Challenge 2011!
We will be making the ORIGAMI BAG SET from Chapter 3. There are six sizes.
Fabrics for ORIGAMI BAG SET—
For yardage requirements–there's a lot going on for this project, mid-weight 54" wide Home Dec fabrics are recommended, it's what I used and I am nothing short of pleased with the results. I am sure lighter fabrics will be fine, it may be a bit flacid, but still functional…
I am not at all saying that you NEED home dec weight fabrics.
Here are the fabrics that I am using…
We will need 2 3/8 yards of 20" wide FUSIBLE woven interfacing. The testers in the book used Shape Flex by Pellon SF-101, just make sure that it is fusible and intended for light to mid-weight fabrics. I am so in love with SF 101, that stuff is an interfacer's dream!
You will need zippers depending on the size bags that you want to make.
You can purchase interfacing and fusible fleece at your local shop that sells fabric. I recommend buying the interfacing at a shop that has a coupon, as we need many yards. Joann, Hobby Lobby, etc.
Are you new to using interfacing? Kathy Mack at Pink Chalk has a helpful guide to fusible interfacing that you may enjoy.
There are no pattern pieces in the book for this project, you must make your own templates. I used cardstock and wrote on my paper the information.
Since we are dealing with zippers and there are some sewists that are new to them, I will have the sew along ready by 7 March 2011. I have already taken pictures, but I have a busy week of baking (and living) ahead of me.
Let me give you a quick pep talk on zippers–go slowly, you are not sewing over the zipper, so do not be afraid. I made over 100 zipper pouches in 2010, so you all can make 6! I promise!
Style Stitchers, this is what we need to do for March:
- Select/order fabric and notions
- Show us the fabric that you are using on the Flickr group page, if you desire
- Cut out pattern pieces for ORIGAMI BAG SET
- Make bag following instructions from book
- Ask questions if you have any (you may use the discussion board on our Flickr group)
- Look for a sew-a-long around the second week of the month– 7 March?
- Take pictures of your ORIGAMI BAG SET and upload them to the FLICKR GROUP. Alternatively, you may e-mail them to me and I will upload them to Flickr.
- Meet back here on 1 APRIL 2011 for details for the next bag and to see a few of the photo-submitted bags and find out who won gift certificates to this month's sponsors:
- Above All Fabric ($25),
- Fat Quarter Shop ($50),
- and Cabbage Rose Quilting ($30).
IF YOU WANT A CHANCE TO WIN A GIFT CERTIFICATE FROM OUR SPONSORS, PLEASE READ!
–ORIGAMI BAG SET pictures must be submitted by 31 MARCH 2011 to be eligible for the gift certificate drawings. The winners will be randomly selected.
–There will be 3 winners this month, because we are working with zippers!! You need to have all 6 complete to be eligible (they do not have to be all 6 sizes). Once the winners are announced, the first person to respond gets to select the gift certificate that they want. I will give further instructions on the 1 APRIL 2011 post.
Questions? Comments? Did I forget to mention anything?
**New to the challenge? You can read all of the details on this post & then get sewing!**
Here's a button with the code below: