Happy new year!
It's January, let's get this challenge started!
We will be making the COSMO BAG from Chapter 1. There is just one size for the bag, but you need to decide if you want short or long handles. Consider how you will use the bag and make a decision!
Fabrics for COSMO BAG—
We need to have 3 prints for this project, light to mid-weight cottons are suitable.
Exterior print: 1 3/8 yard
Coordinating print/solid: 1 1/4 yard
Lining: 1 3/8 yard
Here are the fabrics that I am using…
The dot fabric will be used for the coordinating print, it will look great with both of my prints. Be sure to love your selections!
We will need 6 1/4 yards of 20" wide FUSIBLE woven interfacing. The testers in the book used Shape Flex by Pellon, just make sure that it is fusible and intended for light to mid-weight fabrics.
1/4 yard of 44" wide fusible fleece (it is next to the interfacing in stores).
One 1.5" button to cover (make sure to buy a package with the kit, about $2-$3 total, I highly discourage buying the "no kit required" set). JCaroline has them here.
You can purchase interfacing, fusible fleece, and buttons at your local shop that sells fabric. I recommend buying the interfacing at a shop that has a coupon, as we need many yards. Joann, Hancock Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, etc.
Are you new to using interfacing? Kathy Mack at Pink Chalk has a helpful guide to fusible interfacing that you may enjoy.
Style Stitchers, this is what we need to do for January:
- Select/order fabric and notions
- Show us the fabric that you are using on the Flickr group page, if you desire
- Cut out pattern pieces for COSMO BAG
- Make bag following instructions from book
- Ask questions if you have any (you may use the discussion board on our Flickr group)
- Take pictures of your COSMO BAG and upload them to the FLICKR GROUP. Alternatively, you may e-mail them to me and I will upload them to Flickr.
- Meet back here on 1 FEB 2011 for details for the next bag and to see a few of the photo-submitted bags and find out who won gift certificates to this month's sponsors, Above All Fabric ($25) and Fat Quarter Shop ($50).
IF YOU WANT A CHANCE TO WIN A GIFT CERTIFICATE FROM OUR SPONSORS, PLEASE READ!
–COSMO BAG pictures must be submitted by 31 JANUARY 2011 to be eligible for the gift certificate drawings. The winners will be randomly selected.
–There will be 2 winners this month, once the winners are announced, the first person to respond gets to select the gift certificate that they want. I will give further instructions on the 1 FEBRUARY 2011 post.
Questions? Comments? Did I forget to mention anything?
**New to the challenge? You can read all of the details on this post & then get sewing!**
Here's a button with the code below: